Saturday, March 27, 2010

Charlie Bryer at Redlands

Charlie, an employee at the store and is actively chasing a pro level cycling gig. He's at Redlands stage race in California and we asked him to keep us informed to the details of the race. Charlie's point of view will let us into bicycle racing; the success, follies and blunders. Good luck Charlie, rip their legs off.

Hello!

I just finished my last essay that was due this week and handed it in online. Oh ya - I also raced 168km today! I almost forgot in my zombie like state. It's a bit late, with two stages still to go, I am going to keep it brief, partially I don't want you guys to have to suffer through a half illiterate bunch of ramblings about the race. My eyes are a tiny bit heavy!

Stage 1 was a prologue, only 5 km, primarily uphill. This isn't an event that I am best suited for, I only had my road bike to work with. I warmed up and prepared as best I could. It was my first race of the year and I finished smack dab in the middle of the field. I only lost 1min21secs to the winner. This time last year in a similar event, I lost over 3mins and I have been riding the trainer all winter. So really not a bad result, but I always want to do better.

Stage 2 - 168km Baumont Circuit Race. Today, well to be honest I had no idea what to expect. The Pro Men's field, which includes 2006 Tour de France winner, Floyd Landis is already well raced and fit, with almost two months of racing already in the books. Given this was my first road race of the year - I was not sure what to expect. Well! My day was going fantastic. I was riding well in a strong position all day near the front. At the 140km mark, I was still in the dwindled main field, feeling strong. The major pro teams of the race were chasing the early break with a hard tempo and the pace was getting fast. Nonetheless, I was surprised with how well I was feeling! On the final ascent of the second to last lap, the pack was strung out. I was sitting in about 30th position - I was feeling the pace, but felt comfortable. Then at the worst possible moment around a left hand turn - BOOOM! My front tire exploded so loud my ear was ringing. If this had happened 5km earlier it would have been fine, but because I flatted on the climb that meant I had no momentum to get started again. After a slow wheel change I laid everything on the line to get back. I was flying up the climb, I could see the main field, but I was also on the limit of my capacities. I could not motor-pace my team car at this point because there was advantage on the climb. Once I reached the top - the group was still within reach - but you could see the pace was fast. It was one long thin line. The combination of wind and well considering I was going 75km/h on the bumper of my team car and still not getting back - sort of sums up my day. I just couldn't close the gap. It was a rough first day back racing, just outright bad luck. I sat up with about 15km to go, save my legs for the later stages. I didn't see any point in drilling myself into the ground for 100th place. Anyways - for a first road race of the year, at this level and given that I am a Canadian student, who is still in school - I did okay. Everyone here are virtually full-time cyclists. I know in my head without the flat, I would have finished well in the main field. Anyways - that is the scoop!

Look for more updates soon! Thanks for reading and all the support!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tough break! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Good luck on Sunday!