Thursday, March 4, 2010

Breathing

I found this insightful video instructing riders a better technique to breathe while riding. I wanted to share one the most imprtant technique to improving your cycling. Your screaming body when your stress from climbing or battling windy will thank you that you were paying attention.
I wanted to try Kevin Livingston's suggestions, considering he was an incredibling strnog pro cyclist, and gues what? It works. Inhalation is tricky to synchronize on the first few trys, but it's amazing when instinct kicks in how easy this method is to execute. I tried on the trainer a few nights ago and I felt the benefits, the most important benefit was lowering heartrate. Your test should be: find a gear, moderate cadence and heart rate that is manageable for 10 mins, rest in between 10 mins then repeat and notice heart rate. You will be surprized.
I got an additional benefit, breathing rhythmatically. In pushing the air out I noticed the time for both inhalation and expiration. I recommend to hold off this deeper breathing technique on your first outdoor rides. I was riding home last night and the cold air got to me, I really fely it in my lungs. If you try it outside, I suggest to wear a balaclava or wait until it warms a little.
How to Breathe While Cycling -- powered by http://www.livestrong.com

No comments: