Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter Fun

So the holidays are finally over and we can all stop to finally catch our breath. My holidays were no different from the past few years that I've been traveling back home (thunder bay). Basically I spent a little over a week sitting on my ass eating food and drinking beer. It didn't help the fact that my mom managed to find the biggest bird in town to cook up (38lbs) and the onslaught of home baked goods never ended. I tried to run in the field on my second day out and tweaked my ankle in the rutted out field, so my weight gain wasn't for lack of trying. As I currently sit I'm at a healthy 175, a little up from my usual 155 summer weight. The Holidays have definatly taken their toll and now i need to find the motivation to get back in the swing of things. This is normally the hardest time of the year for me to stay motivated and get in the mileage that i need to have a "good" spring. An overall lack of fitness and weight gain doesn't help the motivation when I actually make an attempt at training. It's because of this lack of motivation that I'm scaling back my expectations for the first two months of the year. Simply put I'm not going to bury myself with heavy intervals or intense trainer rides, instead I'm going to bundle up and try to get in as much low intensity riding out doors and get in some long trainer rides using my new tacx vr set-up, this combined with a weekly bouldering session and maybe some yoga so I don't toss my back again and I just might be in business. I've already done a few rides with my buddy Mikey and with the shop closing on mondays I will have the perfect opportunity to get in some longer rides. I'm actually looking forward to this winter.

No comments: