Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sugoi Wallaroo 290 Baselayer


Hey guys,

Purchased the Sugoi Wallaroo 290 full zip top as a middle layer over the Christmas holidays.

It rocks.

For running, paired with a short-sleeved base layer and my winter-weight running jacket, the zip top keeps me toasty warm in conditions well below -20C wind chill. Over the weekend, I did two hours in -27C wind chills and felt very comfortable. On this morning's -18C wind chill run, I was too hot and had to unzip my jacket and take off my hat to keep from roasting. As such, I use the top between -20 and -30 wind chills as a middle layer.

For riding, I have paired the Wallaroo with a long-sleeved Cannondale base layer and last year's Cannondale LE Carbon jacket and have ridden comfortably in conditions as cold as -10C. (I have the Cannondale LE winter bib tights on my lower half). It was plenty warm during a two-hour ride - although I doubt if I could have tolerated conditions much colder. My C'Dale winter gloves struggled a bit, and below -5C, I have to augment them with chemical hand warmers.

As an aside, I see that you have 2XU thermal compression gear. I would be curious to hear feedback from runners. I use the normal tight down to -10C as a single layer and have raced down to -14C. Well, not exactly a single layer - I was wearing a running brief with a windproof panel where you would want a windproof panel. For training in condiitions below -10C, the compression tight becomes a base layer under my running pants. The combination of compression tight and running pant is good down to -30C. I am curious to hear about runners' experience with running with the thermal tight alone in conditions below -10C.

Warren

No comments: