Sunday, January 17, 2010

Relax and Ride

Via Ciclante has established a ten week yoga program with Sari Yoga in Streetsville, (check our facebook page for details) designed to help cyclists and triathetes get a greater range of forward flexion, more importantly, to stay in an aero position with a flat back for a longer period of time. I attended the class and noticed how tight my lower and mid back is. The class definitely worked that problem area for me. I highly suggest yoga as a cross training exercise.
But that not the reason for my post, I have my Trek time trial bike set up on the trainer and I have been riding it an hour a day, getting ready for spring riding. Of course that's not always the most comfortable position, especially on the trainer. But I have learned that a strong core will allow you to hold that position for a longer period of time.
During the class, Pearl Cromwell, the yoga instructor continued to advise us to relax the shoulders to get a good stretch and to keep that all important neutral spine. The education from the class was to keep good lower back flexibility you need to relax and release the shoulders. Riding in aero position with your shoulders near your ears will tighten the muscles around the neck. Release the shoulders, flatten your back and pow, it's easier to ride in that position. This applies to the riding with your hands in the drops or elbows resting in the aero bar.
When riding the trainer over the next few weeks try staying for periods of time in the aero position, I have been using time based intervals, 5 minutes in aero and 5 minutes in a more relaxed upright position. Don't drop your cadence, ride at 95-100rpm. You may notice as I have that after 3 minutes your shoulders will start creeping up, just pay attention to tightness in your neck. The point to this is ride strong against those strong spring winds. Have fun and let's get ready for an awesome cycling season.

No comments: