Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Jarvis Street bike Lane

I have been listening and very interested in how the City of Toronto has moved forward in the planning of bike lanes to eliminate traffic congestion on the Jarvis Street Corridor. My understanding is that this is an important thru way from upper Toronto to the downtown core. There are many articles concerning this issue. I am presenting the recent media coverage so that you are informed, as well I am interested in your comments because these changes can and eventually will be spread through suburban areas like our city of Mississauga.

CityPulse24
City Council Votes In Favour Of Bike Lanes On Jarvis St.
Staff
Monday, May 25, 2009


For cyclists, it's the best news possible.
For motorists, it conjures fears of instant gridlock.
City councillors have voted 28-16 in favour of eliminating that alternating lane on Jarvis St. and putting in two bike lanes instead. The controversy has been brewing for some time, with advocates arguing it will eventually reduce gridlock and opponents insisting it will cause it.
At present, Jarvis is a five lane street that has a single lane that goes southbound during one rush hour and northbound the next. It's designed to ease traffic flow when the most cars are heading in one main direction. Under the new idea, the lanes would be reduced from Bloor to Queen to make way for bike lanes on either side.
Councillor Kyle Rae believes it's a good decision. "I have constituents who live on Jarvis, who refuse to cycle on Jarvis because it's so unsafe," he claims.
But opponent Councillor Karen Stintz doesn't buy the argument that the lanes will solve anything. "We say on the one hand the TTC won't be expanding yet we know somehow if we put these bike lanes in, the masses will come and 27,000 cars will also be replaced with bicycles? I don't believe that's a reasonable assumption."
The news comes as the city officially takes the wraps off Bike Week, with a lot of events centering on the two wheeled conveyance. But car drivers fear that 'week' is how long it will feel to get through Jarvis on a daily basis during rush hour once the idea is put into place.
The construction will cost about $6 million.

Toronto Star
New bike lane symbol of city's commitment to the bicycle, Heaps says
By: Tess Kalinowski
Wednesday, May 27, 2009


It only represents 2 per cent of the city's bike-lane total,
But the two-kilometre stretch just opened along Wellesley, from Parliament St. to Queen's Park, is symbolic of Toronto's determination to transform a cycling patchwork into a network, Councillor Adrian Heaps, chair of the city's cycling committee, said today.
The Wellesley lane was on the books for years before it finally materialized late last year, he said at a news conference near Sherbourne St.
The city is still putting some of the finishing touches at intersections along Wellesley.
Traditionally, Toronto has installed bike lanes in the "path of least resistance," making them scarce in the most heavily trafficked areas, such as the narrow and busy Wellesley.
"Cycling is not the panacea. It is a viable transportation option," he added. That means it has to be part of an integrated transportation network.
The city's alliance with cyclists came to a head this week with a council decision to build bike lanes on Jarvis St. The plan, which involves removing a reversible north-south car lane, was approved despite fierce opposition from motorists who use Jarvis to commute from homes north of Bloor St.
The city also opened its first bike station at Union Station this week.
About 600 kilometres of bike lanes, shared roadways and off-road paths remain on the planning books, and Heaps acknowledges that Toronto lags behind other North American cities with comparable climates in providing cycling infrastructure.
"Traffic is the reason you put bike lanes downtown," said Heaps. "The (city's) population is expanding 35,000 to 40,000 people every year, and every year we're not building more roads."
But even the existing lanes are mostly unpassable in winter. Last winter, the city kept the Martin Goodman Trail clear along the lakeshore. This winter, Heaps said, the city will consult with cyclists on a second lane designated for snow clearing, probably a north-south path.
But he acknowledged there's a lack of hard data showing how much use people are making of the bike lanes. The city has committed to building $70 million worth of cycling infrastructure over the next five years.

The Best Way to Commute
Staff
Monday, May 25, 2009


Today is the first day of Toronto's annual Bike Month. As usual, there was a group commute from various corners of the city, converging on City Hall for a City-sponsored pancake breakfast.

So how was it? I have no idea, really. I did the complete opposite and rode out of the city this morning, as usual, since my job is in that scary hinterland that few downtown Toronto cyclists ever venture out to: Mississauga. Actually, it's not that scary. I enjoy my commute, and it's often the best part of my day.

Last year I did the group commute to Toronto City hall from High Park, ate breakfast, then turned around and rode back west to work. It was a great way to start the day off, but perhaps a bit too much cycling so early in the day and I got to work even later than usual.

This year, however, the City of Mississauga, via Smart Commute Mississauga and the Mississauga Cycling Advisory Committee hosted their Bike to Work Day Pancake Breakfast on the same day as Toronto's, so I headed straight west this morning.

My lovely wife and I stopped in High Park just as the Toronto Pancake Ride was heading out. Most of the riders were already assembled, so I just had a quick chat with a few friends before everyone departed. It was certainly fun seeing all of these cyclists together at High Park, especially the three or more teams of tandem cyclists. But I was soon on my own, as the number of cyclists I see on the roads seems to diminish the farther I get from home.

The ride to work was pretty uneventful, but since I left earlier than normal and took a different route, I beat the worst traffic and felt like I was exploring new territory again (Bloor St., all the way to the end!). I even noticed more cyclists than usual today, and exchanged some friendly waves and nods.

I arrived at the Mississauga Central Library Square, across the street from City Hall, a couple of minutes before the Mississauga group commutes arrived. I grabbed a banana, and patiently waited for the pancake breakfast table to open up.

The cyclists started to arrive around 8:00am. I counted about 50 cyclists during the time that I was there, which to me is a pretty good turnout, considering that there are days when I don't see a single other cyclist during my commute. Good diversity of ages, and a mix of spandex road warriors and dressed-down casual riders. However, I noticed that the commuter cycling population here doesn't seem to represent the ethnic diversity of Mississauga, especially compared to my bus commutes.

It was a pretty casual and friendly atmosphere. Lots of smiles, laughter, and people out enjoying the sunny morning while eating their free breakfasts. Thinking back on it now, as I type this from my office, I feel like Mississauga's downtown often lacks this friendly laid-back vibe that cyclists and pedestrians bring to an area.

One of the main attractions this morning was the Mississauga Transit bus outfitted with a new bike rack on the front. These are the same style of rack that the GO buses use that I have raved about here in the past. Many people queued up to try their own bikes on the racks, while a Mississauga Transit employee explained how to use it and answered everyone's questions.

I tried my recumbent bike on the bus rack, but the wheel lock arm didn't close down far enough on the 20" front wheel. This is unfortunate, as the stated minimum wheel size is 16", and I have had no trouble with my 20" wheeled folding bike on the GO racks. I wonder if there's some kind of adjustment that can be done to make those wheel locks tighten down better.

I was a bit bummed that my 'bent didn't work on that bus bike rack, but it's still exciting to see that so many of the GTA's transit systems are already equipped or in the process of equipping their buses with bike racks (GO Transit, TTC, Brampton Transit, York Region Transit, Oakville Transit, Burlington Transit, Hamilton Street Railway, etc.) This will certainly make car-free travel even more accessible.

After chatting with a few more people, I hopped back on my bike and rode the short distance to work. And now I sit here, wishing I was still out in the sun riding my bike. It was a nice start to Bike Month, and I'm excited to take in as many other events as I can. I can hear my bike calling me, telling me to skip out of work early and take the long way home.

No comments: