Friday, May 29, 2009

Strength on the bike isn't just about the legs

After cycling indoors for about 4 weeks as a result of my bike crash I am being reminded the importance of upper body and core strength in both my running and cycling.

Because I broke the radial neck in my right arm I was unable to lift weight, do resistance training, swim and sit comfortably in my aerobars for many weeks - not to mention brushing my teeth but that is a story for another day. Now that I am gratefully back out on the road I am realizing that re-building strength on the bike for me is going to mean re-starting my core and upper body conditioning.

The most obvious way to build strength on the bike is more time in the saddle. Riding for an hour outside has become increasing easier over the last few weeks with each ride. I have been trying to get my weekend rides in excess of 2 hours, however I am noticing that this is proving to be a challenge. While I was indoors on the trainer riding for more than 3 hours was not a problem- other than the general boredom of staring at the same space. Now that I am back on the road, my body is no longer conditioned to handle the same distance outdoors. This isn't because my legs are fatigued, rather that my arms, neck and core are not as strong and/or stable. When riding indoors, and most of you know this from your winter months on the trainer, you don't have to deal with the wind, traffic, stops and starts, bumps in the road and the added weight of a helmet.

My recommendation

By investing even 10 minutes a day to upper body and core strength exercises you will begin to feel the benefits as you will find that you are:
  • able to endure longer rides with greater comfort
  • less fatigued during your rides
  • able to climb hills with greater ease
  • better able to handle your bike in windy or rough conditions
  • able to reduce the risk of injury
There is a myriad of information, tips and exercises that can be found on the Internet, in most cycling, triathlon and running magazines the like. Pick one up, choose a few exercises and make a plan to stick to them. Start with 1-2 sets - 20 reps of each and increase the repetitions as your body adapts or make the exercise more challenging by incorporating weights and/or a stability ball. The key is to stick to it and continuously challenge the body. I assure you within 1 week you will feel the difference, I did.

Happy healthy training,

Lucy

No comments: