Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Shimano Di2: two months in

Well, it's been a hair over two months since I've mounted Shimano's newest drive train innovation Di2 on my Cannondale Caad9. Over the past few years I have been following the development of both Shimano and Campy's attempts at perfecting the electronic drive train. Early photos of random disposable domestiques "chosen" to run the various versions of both companies attempts have shown the evolution from bulky prototypes and huge batteries to the refined finish that we have today. The first question that I get whenever I talk to a non-cyclist about electronic shifting is "why", "why the hell would you take something as simple as a bicycle and make it complicated". When you take the sheer cost into effect there really is no real rational argument to present to a non-cyclist, it's all the little details that make up the benefits. The major benefits of the group is the fact that it works flawlessly in all conditions, shifts are instantaneous and never off the mark, trim adjustment is automatic and the front honestly shifts as fast as the rear. My first ride on the new drive train was pretty straight forward, up to Belfountain for a coffee and back (60km). The first 10k I must have ran through over 100 shifts just playing with the shifting and trying to hold back the smiles that come with any new toy. The novelty wore off once I got well into Heritage rd and I put my head down to work through the headwind. Once stretched out with my palms on the hoods i found that I was shifting with my pinkies, the button action really is that light. Once I got to Mississauga rd and started heading north the grade kicked up and I tried my best to jam up the gears under load, after about 5 minutes of climbing like a doped up Spaniard and shifting like a prick I decided that I wasn't going to do any damage and settled into my normal pace. I hit the turnaround spot of the ride, had a coffee and noticed the dark clouds rolling in. I put my head down and started hammering down ninth line to avoid the freezing rain, well apparently I'm still slow because halfway home I was being pelted by freezing rain, again the shifting was flawless. One of the major concerns that i had was battery life and reliability, out of the box the battery had a charge of over 75% and is still showing over 75% more than two months after initial set-up. To have the battery die on you in the middle of a ride would require some of the worst planning imaginable. Another benefit of the system is that adjustments can be done on the fly while on the bike, this is only a real benefit if your the type to change wheels because there is no "break in period" and cable stretch is a non issue. If you need to make adjustments you simply hold the button on the led indicator and use the shift buttons to make micro adjustments on the derailleur, insanely easy. The system also has a fail safe in the event of a crash, that allows you to shift from the button on the led indicator allowing you to limp home with a full range of gears in the event that you crash and damage a shifter, I have used this feature during a race and it works amazing as a last resort, I just wouldn't recommend trying to use the feature at 40km/hr on dirt in a pack. Overall I have to say that I am greatly impressed with the whole system, I haven't baby'd the bike either by breaking out the cross bike when conditions are less than perfect as you can tell by the pictures the bike gets ridden quite regularly and I could probably do a better job with cleaning it. I'm pleased to say that the system really does live up to all the hype that is being hammered into us by the media. I also realize that this isn't for everyone, If you want a drive train that will last forever and function smoothly get Campy Record, but if your a tech geek and want to experience a new level of shifting Di2 just might be for you.




No comments: