Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sunday Ride

I have been working with diaphragm breathing over the last few weeks. I posted the example of this 3 posts ago. Well today I put it to the test. I rode solo this morning for 4 hours steady tempo ride, punching it up every hill. Let me report the benefits of focused breathing made a significant difference. I attacked every climb, sometimes seated others standing and the advantage was a consistently expiration of a large volume of air and always ready for the next inhalation. My legs were feeling the effects of hard climbing but my concentration on breathing didn't have me gritting my teeth like usual. You have to understand that I crack under pressure when fighting the laws of gravity. I got over the rises with a fierce determination and I had my heartrate recovery quickly after reaching the top of the climb. The weather is still a little cool for this type of deep breathing. Wait for warmer weather or a few ounces of scotch after the ride will help your throat but not your lungs.
If anyone needs a new challenge I highly reecommend riding north to 15th sideroad and travel east to Weston rd in Vaughan. Turn left on Weston road and then travel north on Weston to Sailor's hill. It's a steady 5 minute climb that will challenge any level of rider; if not ride a bigger gear.

No comments: