Thursday, October 29, 2009

Willow Beach Cyclocross

Sat. October 24th, Port Hope, Ontario





It was a perfect chilly fall afternoon and the course was extra muddy from the previous days rain. I was lucky not to crash and tweak my back this time around (*epic failure last year), I managed to pull off 6th place, down from last years 4th. I haven't done much cross racing this year and I certainly don't have the "snap" that is required to hold on to the insanely hard accelerations that occur in cross racing. My best friend on the other hand finally managed to nail his first podium in the 10am race and got his well deserved spot on the podium. If you notice in the picture above he is in the background holding my pit bike. Mike's dedication as a mechanic far exceeds anyone I have ever encountered, shortly after that picture was taken I flew by and whipped the white bike at him and exchanged it for the clean and functional black bike, no pleases, no thank yous just a blur of frantic panic and desperation. It's for this reason amongst many that Mikey deserved his podium on saturday, If he would only apply the same dedication to training as he does to maintaining our cross/road/mountain bikes he would be a beast of a rider... although I don't think he'll ever cut back on the beer, and neither will I for that matter. So this weekend we will be packing up our bikes and heading out to the Kelso Cross Stage Race to get our asses handed to us, it's safe to say that beers will be on me this weekend.


Mikey:

No comments: