Thursday, June 11, 2009

Fun Wow!

In all the years that I have been participating in running and cycling, I have traditionally done most of my training on my own. It was not unusual for me to undertake an early 4:00 a.m. run in -30 degree weather. The goal was to complete the run by 5:30 a.m. prior to Tony leaving for work so not to leave my young daughter unattended, returning for a quick shower and change prior to catching the GO train for 1 1/2 hour commute to Toronto. Nap time on the train was a welcome treat after an early morning workout.

Other than racing, and the more recent rides with Tony on the weekends I have put many "alone" (I wouldn't call them lonely as I enjoyed "my time) miles on the pavement both running and cycling. Unfortunately I have been injured and have not been able to run much, and for that matter go to the races where my racing friends are at. Fortunately my cycling is coming along as I have spent the balance of my running time on the bike.

Now that the kids are older and we can leave them unattended, we ventured to try something different. Last Tuesday, we had our first experience with "Time Trialing'. A great way to meet new people, make new friends, test your ability and shake up your training a bit in the company of others with a common interest.

My goal going into the Time Trial was to have fun, be safe and work at a moderate effort, so not to irritate my leg. However, as I suspected, once "my gun" went off, as you part at 1 minute intervals; for those of you not familiar with time trials, my competitive side took over and I "gave er" all the way to the end of the 15km ride. It was a total rush. The course was challenging with 4-5 moderate rollers out and back (remember "up and over"). The wind was blowing every which way with no reprieve. I definitely had to push hard start to finish. It was hard work, however you wouldn't have known it by the smile on my face throughout the entire ride. I finished the 15km in 26.27 minute, 33.9 kph pace, average watts 189. I was hoping for 28 minutes-so I was very excited by my finish.

Highly recommended just for the thrill of the ride- you've gotta try it!

P.S. Time Trials, or rather cycling clubs welcome people at all levels - don't be shy:). Just get out there.

Next week-average 200 watts, bring it on! Can't wait. It's like when I was a little kid and couldn't wait for the weekend for a play date.

Happy Healthy Training,

Lucy

No comments: