Monday, April 13, 2009

Why I Ride: The Wind - Is It Beast or Friend?

I've been riding outdoors since the beginning of March and the wind has been a beast which is typical for this time of year (in like a lion and out like a lamb). Riding alone on many days I don't have my cycling friends to draft behind so the wind is always pushing hard against me at some point whether starting out or coming back home and there is also the crosswinds to contend with too. Being only 115 pounds and riding my carbon Trek Madone I feel at times I'll be blown into a ditch never to be seen again.

The wind is a training tool - a cataylst to propel an average rider into a better-than-average-rider. Riding into the wind you mimic the motion of being in front or climbing a hill. As one of my good cycling friends reminds me to ride in front of the group as much as possible. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It can also replicate the motion of being on a TT bike pushing hard on the gears. Riding into the wind stresses your legs and your spirit to endure and to appreciate days that are calm - or riding with a group. So appreciate the wind especially when it's in your back. Sail on.

No comments: