Saturday, March 28, 2009

Races don't take place on the trainer

I don't know about you, however I know that cycling indoors on a trainer for months on end in Ontario can get old fast. Sure it's great over the cold winter months, being in a controlled environment, working diligently on your pedal stroke and form. Fine tuning and building what will prove to be of benefit when the weather gets warmer and race season arrives.

At last, the weather is warmer, the sun is bright, the roads somewhat clear and you are as excited as the kids dusting off their bikes for the first time since putting it away for the summer. With your workout plan in mind, you head outside. My heart rate a little higher than usual simply because I am excited about finally getting outside.
Workout plan -
  • warm up 10's,
  • 10's @ 80-90 rpms
  • 10's @ 90-95 rpms
  • 5's @ 95-110 rpms
  • 10's @ 90-95 rpms
  • 10's @ 80-90 rpms
  • cd - head home
Sounds, good. On the way out the ride seems effortless, and the months of training indoors seem to have paid off and then you turn around and BAMM. It feels like you just road into a brick wall. I know you can all relate. What I forgot about, from my winter rides in doors, is the WIND. Not just slight intermittent blowing wind, I am talking about continuous bursts of wind that don't stop and I feel like I am not moving at all. Of course at first I complain, and question why I am doing this, and why I didn't keep my bike on the trainer. Then I remind myself of how great it is to be outside, the sun is shining and the simple fact that races DON'T take place on the trainer. So I change my focus, and make the best out of the situation-which for me is sometimes harder than you think as I like to stick to the plan.
  • Option 1- high cadence ride to get me back home
  • Option 2- low cadence ride recruiting different mucles than originally intended
  • Option 3- high cadence ride with bursts of long low cadence (2-5 minutes) visualizing that I am climbing a long and steady hill.
I opt for # 3, and the wind no longer is an issue, rather my mind focuses on the workout at hand and the benefits that I am gaining from the workout. When I get home, I have forgotten about the wind and feel accomplished about the ride and reflect on how hard I worked and how much stronger I know I am going to be on the first hill and the last hill on race day!

Happy training!

No comments: